Predicting the Existence of Peat Areas
Based map from government (RBI Maps / Indonesia based map), include peat distribution map is made macro scale and too universal to be used. Based on my field experience, there are any place was not suitable information among based map information and field actually condition.
Oke, directly, this is a few step to predicting the existence peat area, especially on peat forest. We need based remote sensing data, such as satellite image and some local information. We can use Landsat Satellite Image and SRTM DEM.
1. Create the Hydrological assessment until flow accumulation process (only for detect the
river network) and manage the classify
2. Create slope classes ( I used to 6 interval classes in percent unit ; 0-3-8-15-25-40<)
3. Reclassified elevation data from DEM. It’s helpful to make delineate peat area be easier.
4. Composite band of Landsat satellite image and arrange natural color display.
DEM - River network
Slope - River network
Satelite imange (landsat ETM+7) - River network
There are some assumption about peat forest:
1. Flowing water on river are from higher place to lower place. If the upriver aren’t a hill or
mountain, possibility it’s peat area. In this case, overlay river network and elevation map.
2. 2. Peat area are seldom located on high slope (in fact, I never found it). It often located on flat
area, and in this case, please overlay river network and slope classes.
3. The local people near forest will make a peat area be the last choice for their agricultural field. Most of the reason is difficulties to cultivate peat soil, cost, and unsustainable productivity of harvest. The peat area used to be fragmented among cropland, shrub, bare land, and another conversion land cover else, beside fragmented is caused by-law of forestry or protected area about peat land.
sorri kl englishnya payah..hahahaha